I used my oval dutch oven casserole to do this cake. I had no other pan that would accommodate the cake. It worked like a charm
The ingredients and directions for the fruit part:
Preheat oven to 350°F while you prepare the cake:
- 1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar stirred into butter once melted.
- Add 1 20 z container of pineapple slices drained. Liquid reserved for another time
- Maraschino cherries to put in the pineapple
The Cake mix part:
- 1 16.5 oz Duncan Hines French Vanilla cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk ( full fat)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- Whisk the cake mix till there are no lumps . 2 mins.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend for 1 mins. Scrape down the side of the bowl and then continue mixing on medium speed for 3 minutes till well combined.
- Add batter on top of the pineapple and cherries and cook at 350°F for 50-60 mins till tooth pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- If you find the top of the cake is getting too brown at around 40 mins, simply cover with foil and rotate the pan till the cake is fully cooked.